Sunday 2 March 2014

Electrical Site @ Killbear = Winning the Lottery

Well it's officially happened.  Booking an electrical campsite at Killbear is akin to winning the lottery. Literally.  It is only March 2nd and already most campsites at Killbear Provincial Park are fully booked until late August.  I spent tireless hours last week researching which sites were to come available to book for 5 months in advance for Killbear.  This means the August Long weekend.  As per the ONT PARK customer service staff's suggestion, I woke up at 6:45, picked my site, prefilled the required fields then hovered over the "reserve" button until the very second the clock turned 07:00 am. At 07:00:01 I was too late.  I lost out by milliseconds.  Their website then completely froze rendering me unable to book something, anything that may still be available.  At 7:02 when it unfroze the park was completely sold out.
I am shocked and saddened that this is what it has come down to.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. This has happened to me more than once and it's so frustrating. a few years ago, a friend and I got up at 6:30 so we could book sites side by side at Pog Lake in Algonquin. We both had the fields filled out and hit reserve at 7:00 and neither of us got a site. Then we kind of sat there going "what do we do now?" because finding decent sites next to each other was next to impossible with everything filling up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply Jennie! I actually emailed Ontario Parks and was told that you can't hit the "reserve" button at 07:00:00. You have to hit the button at 06:59:59, so that it reaches the OP servers at exactly 7 am. When did booking a campsite become some sophisticated software game?

      Delete